I’m Max Deryagin, a veteran Russian subtitler, chair of the British Subtitlers’ Association SUBTLE, vice president at AudioVisual Translators Europe (AVTE), co-organizer of Languages & the Media, Russian language lead at Plint, as well as frequent conference speaker, independent researcher, tech consultant and writer.
Having learned the best subtitling practices from specialized academic literature and many years of hands-on experience, I’ve fruitfully collaborated with corporate clients, translation agencies, video publishers, content distributors, broadcasters and universities, and have subtitled over 1,000 videos for TV, Web, SVoD and DVD/Blu-ray throughout my decade-long career, including Oscar-winning films and record-breaking productions.
On the technical side of things, I have a solid grasp of some of the latest standards, technologies and software products in the field . Familiar with the FCC, Ofcom, BBC, DCMP and Netflix TTSG guidelines, I deliver compliant, accurate, readable subtitles and captions for various audiences. Over the years, I’ve used numerous subtitle preparation tools, such as Softel Swift, FAB Subtitler, WinCAPS Qu4ntum, TitleVision, Spot, SubtitleNEXT, Subtitle Workshop, Subtitle Edit and Aegisub. Currently, I work in EZTitles Enterprise — one of the best professional tools on the market.
Besides creating and proofreading subtitles, I have also
▪ Consulted companies on subtitling technologies and file format specifications;
▪ Helped develop several proprietary tools and interfaces for captioning;
▪ Researched timed-text standards for several different languages;
▪ Assisted in training an advanced auto-captioner AI system;
▪ Co-authored the AVTE Machine Translation Manifesto;
▪ Compiled subtitling and captioning style guides;
▪ Advised on setting up subtitle production;
▪ Managed a pool of translators.
I’m also a registered trainer and mentor at ProZ.com, the world’s largest network for translators. My courses cover a range of topics related to the craft of subtitling.
Finally, as an activist, I work towards improving the working conditions of audiovisual translators, help promote the visibility, understanding and status of our profession, and take part in cultivating good subtitling practices in Europe and beyond.